Friday, February 13, 2009

Gnocchi with Goat Cheese-Pesto Sauce

Gnocchi is an Italian dumpling and is pronounced "NO-key". I made this recipe for the first time last night, and it was delicious! I saw a different recipe online yesterday for gnocchi, and it inspired me to create this recipe. I hope you like it! I served it with sautéed kale (Yes, I love kale. It's the only thing coming out of the garden at this time of year, too!), crusty white bread, and white wine. Any variation of white beans would have been perfect with it, too.

1 lb. gnocchi - You can make this homemade (I used the recipe for potato gnocchi from PeTA's The Compassionate Cook cookbook.), use frozen gnocchi, or use purchased fresh gnocchi.
2 T. extra-virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 oz. goat cheese
1/3 c. water
2 T. pesto (You can use purchased prepared pesto. I used homemade.)
salt and pepper to taste
1 large Roma tomato, chopped

Prepare the gnocchi according to the recipe or package directions. While the gnocchi are boiling, sauté the minced garlic in 1 T. of the olive oil over medium-low heat. When you begin to smell the garlic (after about 1 minute), add the goat cheese and water. Stir constantly until you have a smooth sauce. Stir in the pesto, the remaining 1 T. olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste.

When the gnocchi are finished, toss the warm dumplings in the sauce to coat them, then top with chopped fresh tomato. Enjoy!

No comments: