Thursday, June 5, 2008

Peach Cobbler

This is a recipe I got from my "Peepaw" - my dad's dad. I have no idea where he got it or if he just made it up, but it never fails to please my dinner guests! An acquaintance from Puerto Rico literally photographed it before returning home so he could show his family this alluring dessert!

1 c. all-purpose flour
1/4 t. salt
1.5 t. baking powder (aluminum-free whenever possible - try Rumford brand in the red can)
3/4 c. sugar (or use 1 full cup of sugar if using fresh peaches)
3/4 c. milk (I like to use Organic Valley brand.)
1 stick real butter (Again, I like Organic Valley.)
1 large can of peaches in heavy syrup or an equivalent amt of fresh peaches, peeled and sliced

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Melt butter in a 9 x 9 baking dish in the oven. Mix the flour, salt, and baking powder together. Add the sugar and milk to the flour and mix. Pour the mixture in with the butter. Pour the peaches AND the syrup (if using canned peaches) over the mixture. Bake for about 45 minutes, and serve hot.

No comments: