Thursday, June 5, 2008

Vegan Chili

This is a recipe from The NEW Farm Vegetarian Cookbook that I modified. It is my standard vegetarian chili recipe now. I had a dedicated meat-eater tell me this is the best chili she had tasted in her life! So there you go!

2 cans beans, rinsed and drained (I use 1 can of pinto and 1 can of red kidney beans, but you can use whatever you want. Black beans are supposed to be the least gas-producing beans, if that is a concern to you.)
1 c. TVP (This is Texturized Vegetable Protein. You can get it at Kroger in the health food section. I usually buy it in the bulk section of Whole Foods.)
7/8 c. boiling water
1/2 t. garlic powder
1/2 t. plus 2 T. chili powder
2 t. salt, divided
1 onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
2 T. expeller pressed canola oil
3 1/2 c. tomatoes and tomato sauce and even water (You pick the combination, depending on how thick you like the chili. I use 1 can of tomato sauce, 1 can of petite-diced tomatoes, and a little water to wash the tomato residue out of the cans.)
1 t. cumin
pinch black or red pepper

1. Put the tomato mix, 2 T. chili powder, cumin, 1 t. salt, and black or red pepper in a large soup pot. Begin to simmer.
2. Add beans to the pot.
3. Soak TVP, garlic powder, 1/2 t. chili powder, and 1 t. salt in boiling water for 10 minutes, then add to the pot.
4. Sauté onion and garlic in oil until soft. Add to the pot.
5. Simmer for 5 - 10 minutes before serving, to allow the flavors to "marry." It is my personal opinion that this is even better the next day, after it has been in the fridge overnight.

No comments: